Mountain View Iris Society Photography Contest
The Mountain View Iris Society invites you to participate in the photography contest held during the Mountain View Iris Society Iris Show . The contest is FREE and OPEN TO EVERYONE, with the exception of judges. Entry of photographs constitutes permission for Mountain View Iris Society to use them in other posters or publications. Irises in the photographs must be of the genus iris.
Entries will be judged in the following three (3) classes:
1. Irises in a landscaped garden, home garden, or in nature. (Please no commercial gardens.)
2. Portrait of a single iris or multiple blooms of the same cultivar.
3. Photos of pets, wildlife, or garden art with irises (no people in photo).
1) Entries will be accepted in person at the Mountain View Meeting Place 106 E. Washington on Saturday morning, May 4, 2024 between 9:00-11:00 a.m. Entries may be mailed to P.O. Box 2945, Mountain View, Arkansas 72560. Please mail early as mail may be late. All entries must be picked up by end of show (4:00 p.m.). Entries not picked up will not be mailed back to the exhibitor.
2) All entries must be the work of the exhibitor. Any changes to the original image must be the work of the exhibitor and may include manipulation, cropping, enhancing for color/clarity. All classes are open to color or black and white photographs.
3) There is no set time frame for when the photo was taken, i.e., if the photo was taken years ago, we still want you to enter into the competition!
4) Exhibitors may enter up to three different photographs – one entry per each of the three classes. For example, if a husband and wife team want to enter photos into the contest, they both can do so. The husband may enter three photos (one each class) and the wife may do the same.
5) We will accept all types of photographs, even images printed on copy paper, but we would prefer all images on photographic paper. Matte, satin or glossy finishes may be used. The use of white borders will be accepted as well. The photos don’t have to be mounted, but mounting is encouraged. You might want to mount each photograph on light weight, still card stock, matte board or foam core. Conventional mounting may be used, but is not required. There are no maximum or minimum sizes required. PLEASE - NO GLASS OR FRAMED PHOTOGRAPHS ALLOWED.
6) An index card must accompany each exhibit with the following information provided: name of photographer, city and state, title of photograph (if known). Youth entries need to include name of the school the youth attends and current school grade. No points will be deducted if you do not know the name of the iris in your photo.
7) PLEASE – DO NOT WRITE ON THE BACK OF YOUR PHOTOS AND DON’T PAPER CLIP THE INDEX CARD TO THE PHOTOS. IT CAN CAUSE CREASING OF THE PHOTO.
8) Please indicate the top of the photograph on the back of the photo.
9) Names, signatures, or other identifying marks on the photo will cause it to be disqualified.
10) MVIS cannot assume responsibility for lost or damaged photos, but we will exercise caution in safeguarding your photos.
11) Only one first, second, third may be given in each class if merited. One photograph will be awarded BEST OF SHOW BY COMMITTEE. A PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD will be voted on by the general public during the hours of the iris show (12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
12) Any questions regarding processes or rules may be answered by contacting the Mountain View Iris Society by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
WE DO HOPE EVERYONE ENTERS AT LEAST ONE PHOTOGRAPH IN THE PHOTO CONTEST!